20 February 2010

52 Weeks, #8 - Online Map Collections



I love maps. I have a county maps for every state I do research in. I have county maps. I have township maps. I have city maps. I have historic maps. They are amazing research tools. Some websites that I use regularly:

Historic Map Works
Library of Congress - American Memory
David Ramsey Collection

Try googling the location you want a map of-you might be surprised at what you find. Google maps is great for make custom maps. This summer I visited Minneapolis and created a map with pin points for every house my ancestors lived in. You can attach notes as well to those points, saying, for example, when the family resided in each location.

My favorite map is a map of landowners in Scioto County, Ohio in 1875 from the Library of Congress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment