12 December 2009

Advent Calendar - Charitable/Volunteer Work

December 12 - Charitable/Volunteer Work
Did your family ever volunteer with a charity such as a soup kitchen, homeless or battered women’s shelter during the holidays? Or perhaps were your ancestors involved with church groups that assisted others during the holiday?

I remember the first year I was allow to go. My mom had made me a green elf costume to wear. My job was to direct everyone coming off of the buses to where Santa was. It was Christmas Eve and we were at Pitchess Detention Center, a California prison in north Los Angeles County. The families would park their car and take a bus back to the prison to visit. When they come back and get off the bus, we had Santa (and his elf!) waiting for them with presents. Few of those there that day knew what awaited them. Santa, on Christmas Eve was a treat. Asking him for a present and having him hand it to you? Priceless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment